Monday, January 5, 2015
Happy 2015 everyone! I hope the New Year brings everyone success, happiness, and a bunch of amazing meals.
I’ve had the idea for this recipe for quite some time. It all started when my dad made shepherd’s pie with a cornbread topping years ago. I realized how incredible cornbread could serve as a casserole topping. I was already in love with cornbread, but this casserole was just another example of why I can’t get enough of it. One of the great things about this dish is that not only is it fairly easy to make, it’s great for a quick leftover lunch or dinner. Enjoy!
1 pack of Jiffy Cornbread
2 cups Ground Beef
¼ cup Green Pepper - diced
¼ cup Cheddar Cheese
1/8 cup Yellow Onion - diced
10 oz. Cream Style Corn
½ cup cup Tomato Sauce
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
½ Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1. In a large saucepan, heat up olive oil over medium heat.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Add the yellow onion and green pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
4. Crumble the ground beef and add it to the pan, along with the garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Sauté everything until the beef is no longer pink. Remove from the heat and set aside.
5. In a medium sized bowl, prepare the cornbread batter according to package instructions. Set aside
6. In a non-stick baking dish, add the ground beef, onion and green pepper mix.
7. Add the cream style corn, tomato sauce, cheddar cheese, and layer the cornbread batter on top.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
9. Spread one tablespoon of butter on top and serve!