Thursday, April 3, 2014
Tuna Mac N' Cheese
It seems like I've posted quite a few Mac N Cheese recipes. If I should stop, please someone let me know...
Here's another twist on the classic brought to you by the collaborative efforts of myself and Morgan. Usually I struggle to prepare a dish for one person, so this experiment was an important one. It's a mini Mac N Cheese dish with Tuna. It has multiple layers, with the top layer being that necessary crunch component! Tuna is only one option that can be used as a meat but I took the tuna route due to its "economic value?"
1 - 5oz can Solid White Tuna – drained
1 cup Macaroni Noodles
2 slices Cheddar Cheese
1 slice American Cheese
1 Tablespoon Celery
2 Tablespoons Red Onion – chopped
1 teaspoon Sriracha
1 ½ Tablespoon Bacon – cooked half way and diced
2 Tablespoons Pamko Bread Crumbs – toasted
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Chopped Parsley - Garnish
1 Tablespoon butter
½ teaspoon Flour
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
½ teaspoon Paprika
½ cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1. Cook the macaroni noodles according to package instructions.
2. In a small sauce pan, heat up the olive oil over medium low heat.
3. Sauté the red onion for about 4 minutes then add the celery and sauté everything for about 3 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
5. Spray a medium sized ramekin dish with cooking spray.
6. In a medium bowl, combine the tuna with the red onion, celery, and Sriracha. Set aside.
7. In a small saucepan, create a roux by combining the butter and flour over medium heat and whisking for about a minute.
8. Add the heavy whipping cream and continue whisking.
9. Add the paprika and shredded cheddar cheese, slowly whisk to combine and let simmer for 3 minutes until sauce slightly thickens.
10. In the ramekin dish, layer the mac n cheese from the bottom up in the following order: the tuna mix, half of the noodles, one slice of cheddar, the rest of the noodles, cheese sauce, slice of American cheese, second slice of cheddar, bacon and Pamko.
11. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and bacon fully cooked.
12. Once done, sprinkle the dish with parsley and set aside to cool for a few minutes. Enjoy!