|Picture by The Food Network|
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Pan Roasted Duck
For those who watched my performance on the new Food Network show "America's Best Cook"....
And for those who know me fairly well...
This attempt at self redemption had to be done! To give you a quick summary of my downfall on the show, I failed in my attempt to cook duck breast for Chef Alex Guarnaschelli. I'm talking failure of spectacular proportion. The duck was so raw I heard it scream "Aflac" as Chef Alex attempted to cut through it.
The night after I was sent home, I went out to the market and bought duck breast. I had to prove to myself that I could properly prepare it.
This is a very simple recipe and mirrors what I attempted on the show. Only this time, the duck wasn't served raw! Also, the sauce I used was my homemade Raspberry BBQ Sauce. I did not include the recipe for that as I am attempting to bottle my sauce. Only a few ingredients are necessary to create some delicious pan roasted duck!
I needed the cameras on this one because it came out great!
Pan Seared Duck
1 Duck Breast
1 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoons Salt
1 ½ Teaspoons Curry Powder
2 teaspoons Olive Oil
BBQ Sauce (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a non stick pan over medium heat.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Score the skin of the duck breast multiple times.
4. Season the duck with black pepper, salt and curry powder.
5. Once the pan is hot, place the duck skin side down.
6. Cook the duck for 10 minutes on that side, flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
7. Take the duck out of the pan and place on a non stick-baking sheet.
8. Bake for 11-13 minutes.
9. Let the duck rest for 5 minutes before slicing.